It is hard to guess what a Bougainville naked-tailed rat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Bougainville naked-tailed rat (Solomys salebrosus) on average weights 397 grams (0.88 lbs).
The Bougainville naked-tailed rat is from the family Muridae (genus: Solomys). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 27 cm (0′ 11″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Bougainville naked-tailed rat (Solomys salebrosus) or Bougainville giant rat is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.It is found in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.
Animals of the same family as a Bougainville naked-tailed rat
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Mozambique thicket rat with a weight of 45 grams
- Sulawesi giant rat with a weight of 325 grams
- Krebs’s fat mouse with a weight of 20 grams
- Giant bushy-tailed cloud rat with a size of 37.1 cm (1′ 3″)
- Paramo hocicudo with a weight of 41 grams
- Oyapock’s fish-eating rat with a weight of 47 grams
- Coxing’s white-bellied rat with a weight of 80 grams
- Turkestan rat with 4 babies per litter
- Isarog striped shrew-rat with a weight of 140 grams
- Oligoryzomys nigripes with a weight of 29 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Bougainville naked-tailed rat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Solomys salebrosus:
- Brown-mantled tamarin bringing 393 grams to the scale
- Mexican gray squirrel bringing 456 grams to the scale
- European hamster bringing 429 grams to the scale
- Geelvink Bay flying fox bringing 351 grams to the scale
- Social tuco-tuco bringing 400 grams to the scale
- Long-tailed armored tree-rat bringing 439 grams to the scale
- Striped possum bringing 413 grams to the scale
- Long-tailed giant rat bringing 349 grams to the scale
- Spix’s yellow-toothed cavy bringing 361 grams to the scale
- Black and rufous elephant shrew bringing 423 grams to the scale