How many baby Van Gelder’s bats are in a litter?
A Van Gelder’s bat (Antrozous dubiaquercus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3.39 kg (7.47 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Antrozous). An adult Van Gelder’s bat grows up to a size of 1.25 meter (4′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Van Gelder’s bat (Bauerus dubiaquercus) is a species of vesper bat in the family Vespertilionidae.It is found in Belize, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Mexico. The species is monotypic within its genus. It is part of the tribe Antrozoini within the subfamily Vespertilioninae and is related to the pallid bat (Antrozous pallidus). The bat is found in forest habitat from sea level to elevations as high as 2300 m, although not usually above 1300 m, and is insectivorous and crepuscular. It apparently has a fragmented distribution, and is threatened by deforestation.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Van Gelder’s bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Glen’s wattled bat weighting only 10 grams
- Lesser large-footed bat weighting only 8 grams
- Tricolored bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Harlequin bat weighting only 22 grams
- Southern forest bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Large-footed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Great bent-winged bat weighting only 15 grams
- Least woolly bat weighting only 2 grams
- Surat serotine weighting only 13 grams
- Serotine bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Van Gelder’s bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Dorcas gazelle
- Lesser sheath-tailed bat
- Striped possum
- Greater musky fruit bat
- Southeast Asian long-fingered bat
- Dark-winged lesser house bat
- Northern olingo
- Southern hairy-nosed wombat
- Dwarf sperm whale
Animals with the same weight as a Van Gelder’s bat
What other animals weight around 22 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- Taphozous philippinensis weighting 20 grams
- Agile antechinus weighting 22 grams
- Indian hairy-footed gerbil weighting 26 grams
- Lesser long-nosed bat weighting 22 grams
- Hildebrandt’s horseshoe bat weighting 25 grams
- Red tree vole weighting 22 grams
- Gilbert’s dunnart weighting 19 grams
- Southern long-nosed bat weighting 25 grams
- Aceramarca gracile opossum weighting 20 grams
- Fischer’s pygmy fruit bat weighting 18 grams