How many baby Geoffroy’s tamarins are in a litter?
A Geoffroy’s tamarin (Saguinus geoffroyi) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 48 grams (0.11 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Callitrichidae family (genus: Saguinus). An adult Geoffroy’s tamarin grows up to a size of 23.9 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Geoffroy’s tamarin (Saguinus geoffroyi), also known as the Panamanian, red-crested or rufous-naped tamarin, is a tamarin, a type of small monkey, found in Panama and Colombia. It is predominantly black and white, with a reddish nape. Diurnal, Geoffroy’s tamarin spends most of its time in trees, but does come down to the ground occasionally. It lives in groups that most often number between three and five individuals, and generally include one or more adults of each sex. It eats a variety of foods, including insects, exudates, fruits and other plant parts. Insects and fruits account for the majority of its diet, but exudates are also important. But since its teeth are not adapted for gouging trees to get to the sap, it can only eat exudates when they are easily available.Although a variety of reproductive methods are used, the most common is for a single adult female in the group to be reproductively active and to mate with multiple adult males in the group. After a gestation period of about 145 days, she gives birth to either a single infant or twins. Males contribute significantly to care of the infants. Sexual maturity is reached at about 2 years, and it can live up to 13 years. Geoffroy’s tamarin is classified as being of “least concern” by the IUCN.
Other animals of the family Callitrichidae
Geoffroy’s tamarin is a member of the Callitrichidae, as are these animals:
- Emperor tamarin becoming 20.17 years old
- White-headed marmoset weighting only 342 grams
- Golden lion tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Buffy-headed marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Brown-mantled tamarin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Santarem marmoset becoming 15 years old
- Pied tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Silvery marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Mottle-faced tamarin weighting only 803 grams
- Golden-mantled tamarin weighting only 385 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Geoffroy’s tamarin
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Kimberley rock rat
- Coxing’s white-bellied rat
- Saharan striped polecat
- Ruwenzori sun squirrel
- Common gundi
- African marsh rat
- Blanford’s fox
- Long-tailed pygmy possum
- Mexican fox squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Geoffroy’s tamarin
What other animals weight around 493 grams (1.09 lbs)?
- European ground squirrel weighting 396 grams
- Hispid pocket gopher weighting 499 grams
- Maués marmoset weighting 443 grams
- Golden-headed lion tamarin weighting 573 grams
- Numbat weighting 517 grams
- Prevost’s squirrel weighting 400 grams
- Allegheny woodrat weighting 447 grams
- Giant tree-rat weighting 584 grams
- Short-furred Atlantic tree-rat weighting 439 grams
- Gray four-eyed opossum weighting 426 grams