How many baby Dormer’s bats are in a litter?
A Dormer’s bat (Pipistrellus dormeri) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 3.3 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Pipistrellus). An adult Dormer’s bat grows up to a size of 10.5 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Dormer’s bat or Dormer’s pipistrelle (Scotozous dormeri) is a species of vesper bat. It is monotypical for its genus.It is found in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and Pakistan.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, arable land, plantations, rural gardens, and urban areas.The holotype for this species was from the Bellary Hills in Southern India and it was collected by James Charlemagne Dormer, after whom it is named.Bat flies found on this species include: Basilia fletcheri.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Dormer’s bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Little forest bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern forest bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed house bat weighting only 30 grams
- Robust yellow bat raching a size of 15.2 cm (0′ 6″)
- Little broad-nosed bat weighting only 10 grams
- Grey long-eared bat becoming 15 years old
- Arizona myotis weighting only 8 grams
- Large-eared pied bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Brown pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Cape serotine with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Dormer’s bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Bioko Allen’s bushbaby
- Mongalla free-tailed bat
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat
- Egyptian slit-faced bat
- Bougainville monkey-faced bat
- Sunda flying lemur
- Leschenault’s rousette
- Naked-rumped tomb bat
- Feather-tailed possum
Animals with the same weight as a Dormer’s bat
What other animals weight around 6 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Pacific sheath-tailed bat weighting 6 grams
- Yellow-lipped bat weighting 5 grams
- Tricolored bat weighting 5 grams
- Lesser woolly bat weighting 6 grams
- Croslet horseshoe bat weighting 7 grams
- Small Asian sheath-tailed bat weighting 5 grams
- Pomona roundleaf bat weighting 6 grams
- Marshall’s horseshoe bat weighting 5 grams
- Eurasian harvest mouse weighting 7 grams
- Northern little yellow-eared bat weighting 7 grams