How many baby Leschenault’s rousettes are in a litter?
A Leschenault’s rousette (Rousettus leschenaulti) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 121 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 12 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Pteropodidae family (genus: Rousettus). An adult Leschenault’s rousette grows up to a size of 16.7 cm (0′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Leschenault’s rousette (Rousettus leschenaultii) is a species of fruit bat. The scientific name of the species was first published by Desmarest in 1820.
Other animals of the family Pteropodidae
Leschenault’s rousette is a member of the Pteropodidae, as are these animals:
- Ratanaworabhan’s fruit bat weighting only 32 grams
- Harpy fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-capped fruit bat weighting only 17 grams
- Umboi tube-nosed fruit bat weighting only 41 grams
- Lesser flying fox weighting only 296 grams
- Andersen’s naked-backed fruit bat weighting only 233 grams
- Solomon’s naked-backed fruit bat weighting only 152 grams
- Bare-backed rousette with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser short-nosed fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Luzon fruit bat weighting only 16 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Leschenault’s rousette
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Shrew-faced squirrel
- Papuan bandicoot
- Common pipistrelle
- Dusky leaf-nosed bat
- Red acouchi
- Dama gazelle
- Olive baboon
- Lumholtz’s tree-kangaroo
- Hoolock gibbon
- Townsend’s mole
Animals with the same weight as a Leschenault’s rousette
What other animals weight around 84 grams (0.19 lbs)?
- Mountain spiny pocket mouse weighting 74 grams
- Hero shrew weighting 91 grams
- Oryzomys couesi weighting 69 grams
- Pohle’s fruit bat weighting 69 grams
- Long-eared chipmunk weighting 83 grams
- Goliath shrew weighting 87 grams
- Patagonian chinchilla mouse weighting 75 grams
- Oecomys flavicans weighting 73 grams
- Oecomys roberti weighting 73 grams
- Vampyriscus nymphaea weighting 69 grams