How many baby Dusky leaf-nosed bats are in a litter?
A Dusky leaf-nosed bat (Hipposideros ater) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 195 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 99 cm (3′ 3″). They are a member of the Rhinolophidae family (genus: Hipposideros). An adult Dusky leaf-nosed bat grows up to a size of 1.55 meter (5′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The dusky leaf-nosed bat (Hipposideros ater) is a bat from the genus Hipposideros whose habitat extends from India and Sri Lanka to the Philippines, New Guinea and Northern Australia. This species is counted in the H. bicolor species group and was formerly classified within that species.The genus name Hipposideros comes from the Greek words for “horse” (ἴππος) and “iron” (σίδηρος) and means “horseshoe”; a reference to the complex nose that species in this genus are known for. The generic designation ater is Latin for “black” and notes the relative dark color of this species’s coat.
Other animals of the family Rhinolophidae
Dusky leaf-nosed bat is a member of the Rhinolophidae, as are these animals:
- Rhinolophus sedulus weighting only 8 grams
- Cyclops roundleaf bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Coelops frithi weighting only 7 grams
- Little Japanese horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Shield-faced roundleaf bat weighting only 40 grams
- Orange leaf-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Trident bat weighting only 12 grams
- Least horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Temminck’s trident bat weighting only 4 grams
- Northern leaf-nosed bat weighting only 12 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Dusky leaf-nosed bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Least horseshoe bat
- Earless water rat
- Zanzibar bushbaby
- Mountain cuscus
- Barbary sheep
- Rüppell’s pipistrelle
- Guatemalan deer mouse
- Red-legged pademelon
- Dwarf free-tailed bat
- Madagascan large free-tailed bat
Animals with the same weight as a Dusky leaf-nosed bat
What other animals weight around 5 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Southern forest bat weighting 5 grams
- California myotis weighting 4 grams
- Peters’s musk shrew weighting 6 grams
- Least horseshoe bat weighting 5 grams
- Yellow-lipped bat weighting 4 grams
- Eisentraut’s pipistrelle weighting 6 grams
- Somali serotine weighting 4 grams
- Dormer’s bat weighting 6 grams
- Montane myotis weighting 5 grams
- Merriam’s pocket mouse weighting 6 grams