How many baby Madagascan large free-tailed bats are in a litter?
A Madagascan large free-tailed bat (Tadarida fulminans) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 104 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Molossidae family (genus: Tadarida). An adult Madagascan large free-tailed bat grows up to a size of 4.1 cm (0′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Madagascan large free-tailed bat (Tadarida fulminans) is a species of bat in the family Molossidae. It is found in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry savanna and moist savanna.
Other animals of the family Molossidae
Madagascan large free-tailed bat is a member of the Molossidae, as are these animals:
- Peters’s flat-headed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bini free-tailed bat weighting only 11 grams
- Greenhall’s dog-faced bat weighting only 15 grams
- Roberts’s flat-headed bat weighting only 14 grams
- Ozimops beccarii weighting only 14 grams
- Egyptian free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Peters’s wrinkle-lipped bat weighting only 11 grams
- Hairless bat weighting only 169 grams
- Velvety free-tailed bat weighting only 13 grams
- Ozimops planiceps with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Madagascan large free-tailed bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Horsfield’s tarsier
- Chocolate wattled bat
- Yellow-bellied brush-furred rat
- Admiralty Island cuscus
- Lowland mosaic-tailed rat
- Greater horseshoe bat
- Mediterranean horseshoe bat
- Mexican long-tongued bat
- Small flying fox
Animals with the same weight as a Madagascan large free-tailed bat
What other animals weight around 33 grams (0.07 lbs)?
- Hispid pocket mouse weighting 35 grams
- Dusky caenolestid weighting 29 grams
- Cuban fruit-eating bat weighting 37 grams
- Greater Asiatic yellow bat weighting 36 grams
- Sandhill dunnart weighting 33 grams
- Western mouse weighting 34 grams
- Northern hopping mouse weighting 38 grams
- Cochabamba grass mouse weighting 34 grams
- Mexican vole weighting 34 grams
- Mount Apo forest mouse weighting 34 grams