How many baby Mediterranean horseshoe bats are in a litter?
A Mediterranean horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus euryale) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 92 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.09 meter (3′ 7″). They are a member of the Rhinolophidae family (genus: Rhinolophus). An adult Mediterranean horseshoe bat grows up to a size of 3.74 meter (12′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Mediterranean horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus euryale) is a species of insectivorous bat in the family Rhinolophidae. It is found in the Mediterranean region and balkan peninsula, as well as parts of Italy.
Other animals of the family Rhinolophidae
Mediterranean horseshoe bat is a member of the Rhinolophidae, as are these animals:
- Rhinolophus simplex with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Dent’s horseshoe bat weighting only 6 grams
- Peninsular horseshoe bat weighting only 8 grams
- Hildebrandt’s horseshoe bat weighting only 25 grams
- Broad-eared horseshoe bat weighting only 14 grams
- Bushveld horseshoe bat weighting only 8 grams
- Philippine forest horseshoe bat weighting only 13 grams
- Aba roundleaf bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Malayan horseshoe bat weighting only 6 grams
- Intermediate horseshoe bat weighting only 13 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Mediterranean horseshoe bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Günther’s dik-dik
- Painted ringtail possum
- Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel
- Little brown bat
- Cape elephant shrew
- Western grey kangaroo
- Eastern forest bat
- Gilbert’s potoroo
Animals with the same weight as a Mediterranean horseshoe bat
What other animals weight around 9 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Northern bat weighting 10 grams
- Little pocket mouse weighting 8 grams
- Lander’s horseshoe bat weighting 9 grams
- Long-legged bat weighting 8 grams
- Bourret’s horseshoe bat weighting 8 grams
- Little broad-nosed bat weighting 10 grams
- White-bellied lesser house bat weighting 10 grams
- Micronycteris brachyotis weighting 10 grams
- Silvered bat weighting 9 grams
- Little white-shouldered bat weighting 10 grams