How many baby Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrels are in a litter?
A Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel (Idiurus zenkeri) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 13 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 15.1 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Anomaluridae family (genus: Idiurus). An adult Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel grows up to a size of 33.5 cm (1′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel (Idiurus zenkeri) is a species of rodent in the family Anomaluridae. It is found in Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, and Uganda. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests. It is threatened by habitat loss.
Other animals of the family Anomaluridae
Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel is a member of the Anomaluridae, as are these animals:
- Dwarf scaly-tailed squirrel weighting only 250 grams
- Long-eared flying mouse weighting only 27 grams
- Lord Derby’s scaly-tailed squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Cameroon scaly-tail weighting only 200 grams
- Beecroft’s flying squirrel weighting only 479 grams
- Pel’s flying squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- White-tailed deer
- Plush-coated ringtail possum
- Atlantic bamboo rat
- Brush-tailed rock-wallaby
- Galápagos fur seal
- Big hairy armadillo
- Yellow-tailed woolly monkey
- Northern fur seal
- Queen of Sheba’s gazelle
Animals with the same weight as a Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel
What other animals weight around 100 grams (0.22 lbs)?
- Lewis’s tuco-tuco weighting 117 grams
- Bare-backed rousette weighting 92 grams
- Sooretamys weighting 120 grams
- Vinogradov’s jird weighting 117 grams
- Chestnut white-bellied rat weighting 81 grams
- Congo rope squirrel weighting 112 grams
- Plains viscacha rat weighting 86 grams
- Slender treeshrew weighting 112 grams
- Red-cheeked flying squirrel weighting 118 grams
- Dent’s vlei rat weighting 120 grams