How many baby Zanzibar bushbabys are in a litter?
A Zanzibar bushbaby (Galagoides zanzibaricus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 120 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 14 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 4.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Galagonidae family (genus: Galagoides). An adult Zanzibar bushbaby grows up to a size of 12 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Zanzibar bushbaby, Matundu dwarf galago, Udzungwa bushbaby, or Zanzibar galago (Paragalago zanzibaricus) is a primate of the family Galagidae. An adult typically weighs 150 grams (5.3 oz), its head-body length is 14 to 15 centimetres (5.5 to 5.9 in) and its tail is between 12 and 15 centimetres (4.7 and 5.9 in) long. Like other species of galagos, its diet consists mainly of fruit, insects, and tree gums.It is the most widespread and abundant bushbaby in the coastal forests of Tanzania. It is thought to prefer the mid to high canopy of tropical coastal forest, submontane and lowland tropical forest. It has one or two young per year.There are two subspecies of this bushbaby:P. z. zanzibaricus, from ZanzibarP. z. udzungwensis, from mainland Tanzania
Other animals of the family Galagonidae
Zanzibar bushbaby is a member of the Galagonidae, as are these animals:
- Mohol bushbaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Southern needle-clawed bushbaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bioko Allen’s bushbaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Prince Demidoff’s bushbaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Dusky bushbaby weighting only 213 grams
- Northern greater galago with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Somali bushbaby weighting only 250 grams
- Northern needle-clawed bushbaby weighting only 278 grams
- Senegal bushbaby with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Brown greater galago with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Zanzibar bushbaby
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Bechstein’s bat
- Long-footed treeshrew
- Dent’s mona monkey
- Livingstone’s fruit bat
- Scaly-tailed possum
- Pygmy killer whale
- Robert’s snow vole
- Common duiker
- White-faced spiny tree-rat
Animals with the same weight as a Zanzibar bushbaby
What other animals weight around 148 grams (0.33 lbs)?
- Unexpected cotton rat weighting 140 grams
- Buettikofer’s epauletted fruit bat weighting 135 grams
- Maxomys baeodon weighting 159 grams
- Rajah spiny rat weighting 150 grams
- Lesser stick-nest rat weighting 150 grams
- Spectral bat weighting 171 grams
- Lorentz’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 150 grams
- Little ground squirrel weighting 174 grams
- Southern pocket gopher weighting 126 grams
- Madagascan flying fox weighting 122 grams