How many baby Pygmy killer whales are in a litter?
A Pygmy killer whale (Feresa attenuata) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 106 grams (0.23 lbs) and measure 8.3 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Delphinidae family (genus: Feresa). An adult Pygmy killer whale grows up to a size of 50 cm (1′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The pygmy killer whale (Feresa attenuata) is a poorly known and rarely seen oceanic dolphin. It derives its common name from sharing some physical characteristics with the killer whale. It is the smallest cetacean species that has “whale” in its common name. Although the species has been known to be extremely aggressive in captivity, this aggressive behavior has not been observed in the wild.The species had been described by John Gray in 1874, based on two skulls identified in 1827 and 1874. The next recorded sighting was in 1952 which led to its formal naming by Japanese cetologist Munesato Yamada in 1954.
Other animals of the family Delphinidae
Pygmy killer whale is a member of the Delphinidae, as are these animals:
- Pantropical spotted dolphin becoming 46 years old
- Atlantic humpback dolphin weighting around 100 kilograms (220.46 lbs)
- Commerson’s dolphin becoming 18 years old
- Pacific white-sided dolphin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Southern right whale dolphin weighting around 116 kilograms (255.74 lbs)
- Chilean dolphin weighting around 45 kilograms (99.21 lbs)
- Common bottlenose dolphin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Dusky dolphin weighting around 127.25 kilograms (280.54 lbs)
- Striped dolphin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Hourglass dolphin weighting around 110 kilograms (242.51 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Pygmy killer whale
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Melanomys caliginosus
- Black-headed spider monkey
- Baikal seal
- Crested mona monkey
- Greater grison
- Honduran white bat
- Toolache wallaby
- Madagascan fruit bat
- Biak glider
- Brush-tailed rock-wallaby
Animals with the same weight as a Pygmy killer whale
What other animals weight around 170 kg (374.79 lbs)?
- Atlantic white-sided dolphin usually reaching 186.76 kgs (411.73 lbs)
- California sea lion usually reaching 137.6 kgs (303.36 lbs)
- South American sea lion usually reaching 194 kgs (427.7 lbs)
- Asinus usually reaching 172.5 kgs (380.3 lbs)
- Thorold’s deer usually reaching 161 kgs (354.94 lbs)
- Brown bear usually reaching 196.14 kgs (432.41 lbs)
- Fraser’s dolphin usually reaching 164 kgs (361.56 lbs)
- Irrawaddy dolphin usually reaching 190 kgs (418.88 lbs)
- Dwarf sperm whale usually reaching 183.07 kgs (403.6 lbs)
- Sambar deer usually reaching 176 kgs (388.01 lbs)