What is the maximal age a Commerson’s dolphin reaches?
An adult Commerson’s dolphin (Cephalorhynchus commersonii) usually gets as old as 18 years.
When born, they weight 5.84 kg (12.87 lbs) and measure 20 cm (0′ 8″). They are a member of the Delphinidae family (genus: Cephalorhynchus). Fully grown, they reach a bodylength of 87.5 cm (2′ 11″).
As a reference: Usually, humans get as old as 100 years, with the average being around 75 years. After being carried in the belly of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks), they grow to an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″) and weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual.
Commerson’s dolphin (Cephalorhynchus commersonii), also referred to by the common names jacobita, skunk dolphin, piebald dolphin or panda dolphin, is a small oceanic dolphin of the genus Cephalorhynchus. Commerson’s dolphin has two geographically-isolated but locally-common subspecies. The principal subspecies, C.c.commersonii, has sharply-delineated black-and-white patterning and is found around the tip of South America. The secondary subspecies, C.c.kerguelenensis, is larger than C.c.commersonii, has a less-sharply delineated dark and light grey patterning with a white ventral band, and is found around the Kerguelen Islands in the Indian Ocean.The dolphin is named after French naturalist Dr Philibert Commerson, who first described them in 1767 after sighting them in the Strait of Magellan.
Animals of the same family as a Commerson’s dolphin
Not really brothers and sisters, but from the same biological family (Delphinidae):
- White-beaked dolphin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Northern right whale dolphin growing to a mass of 113 kgs (249.12 lbs)
- Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Long-finned pilot whale becoming 45 years old
- Fraser’s dolphin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- False killer whale becoming 22 years old
- Risso’s dolphin becoming 20 years old
- Atlantic white-sided dolphin becoming 27 years old
- Atlantic humpback dolphin growing to a mass of 100 kgs (220.46 lbs)
- Peale’s dolphin growing to a mass of 120 kgs (264.55 lbs)
Animals that reach the same age as Commerson’s dolphin
With an average age of 18 years, Commerson’s dolphin are in good companionship of the following animals:
- Philippine tarsier usually reaching 15 years
- Wolverine usually reaching 18 years
- Giant eland usually reaching 16.17 years
- Indiana bat usually reaching 20 years
- Cattle usually reaching 20 years
- Hirola usually reaching 15.17 years
- Madagascan fruit bat usually reaching 20 years
- South American fur seal usually reaching 21 years
- Pallas’s squirrel usually reaching 16.08 years
- Nabarlek usually reaching 17 years
Weighting as much as Commerson’s dolphin
A fully grown Commerson’s dolphin reaches around 72.4 kg (159.61 lbs). So do these animals:
- Nilgiri tahr weighting 73.94 kilos (163.01 lbs) on average
- Mountain goat weighting 71.84 kilos (158.38 lbs) on average
- Ringed seal weighting 71.1 kilos (156.75 lbs) on average
- Iberian ibex weighting 60.55 kilos (133.49 lbs) on average
- Southern reedbuck weighting 57.94 kilos (127.74 lbs) on average
- Common warthog weighting 82.5 kilos (181.88 lbs) on average
- Hirola weighting 78.6 kilos (173.28 lbs) on average
- Chital weighting 69.5 kilos (153.22 lbs) on average
- White-tailed deer weighting 75.6 kilos (166.67 lbs) on average
- Bontebok weighting 77.24 kilos (170.28 lbs) on average