How many baby Melanomys caliginosuss are in a litter?
A Melanomys caliginosus (Melanomys caliginosus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1300 kg (2866.01 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Melanomys). An adult Melanomys caliginosus grows up to a size of 12.87 meter (42′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Melanomys caliginosus, also known as the dusky melanomys or dusky rice rat, is a species of rodent in the genus Melanomys of family Cricetidae. It is found from Central America, in Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama, into South America, where it occurs in Venezuela, Colombia, and Ecuador. Populations currently classified under M. caliginosus may in fact include more than one species.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Melanomys caliginosus is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Gray-tailed narrow-headed rat weighting only 85 grams
- Balkan snow vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Red-bellied mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Muskrat with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Oligoryzomys flavescens with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Soft-furred Oldfield mouse weighting only 35 grams
- Capricorn leaf-eared mouse weighting only 50 grams
- Mexican deer mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Asiatic long-tailed climbing mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Mindanao shrew-rat raching a size of 10.4 cm (0′ 5″)
Animals that share a litter size with Melanomys caliginosus
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Common thick-thumbed bat
- Bohor reedbuck
- Silvery gibbon
- Greater Asiatic yellow bat
- Red-fronted gazelle
- Climbing shrew
- Scrub hare
- Hairy-legged vampire bat
- Fraternal myotis
- Mantled howler
Animals with the same weight as a Melanomys caliginosus
What other animals weight around 41 grams (0.09 lbs)?
- Ernst Mayr’s water rat weighting 42 grams
- Djoongari weighting 39 grams
- Mexican mouse opossum weighting 49 grams
- Greater Wilfred’s mouse weighting 46 grams
- Dusky fruit bat weighting 35 grams
- Desert mouse weighting 37 grams
- Lesser great leaf-nosed bat weighting 33 grams
- Northern collared lemming weighting 46 grams
- Rudd’s mouse weighting 35 grams
- Woosnam’s brush-furred rat weighting 42 grams