How many baby Honduran white bats are in a litter?
A Honduran white bat (Ectophylla alba) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 14 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 8 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Phyllostomidae family (genus: Ectophylla). An adult Honduran white bat grows up to a size of 45.3 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Honduran white bat (Ectophylla alba), also called the Caribbean white tent-making bat, is a species of bat in the family Phyllostomatidae.It is the only member of the genus Ectophylla.The genus and the species were both scientifically described for the first time in 1892.It has distinctive, entirely white fur, which is only found in six of the roughly 1,300 known species of bat.It constructs “tents” out of understory plant leaves by strategically cutting the leaf ribs with its teeth; it roosts in these tents during the day.It is a specialist frugivore, consuming almost exclusively the fruits of one species of fig.Females can likely become pregnant twice per year, giving birth to one offspring at a time.It is found in Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and western Panama at elevations from sea level to 700 m (2,300 ft). Due to habitat loss, it is evaluated as near-threatened by the IUCN.Its bright yellow ears, nose-leaf, and lips are a result of carotenoid deposition; the mechanism of this deposition is being researched as a way to understand and combat macular degeneration in humans.
Other animals of the family Phyllostomidae
Honduran white bat is a member of the Phyllostomidae, as are these animals:
- MacConnell’s bat weighting only 6 grams
- Heller’s broad-nosed bat weighting only 13 grams
- Bidentate yellow-shouldered bat weighting only 18 grams
- Godman’s long-tailed bat weighting only 7 grams
- Bidentate yellow-eared bat weighting only 11 grams
- Brock’s yellow-eared bat weighting only 48 grams
- Toltec fruit-eating bat weighting only 15 grams
- Antillean fruit-eating bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Little big-eyed bat weighting only 13 grams
- Tilda’s yellow-shouldered bat weighting only 24 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Honduran white bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Allied rock-wallaby
- White-tailed deer
- Black crested gibbon
- Mahogany glider
- Northern fur seal
- Yellow-tailed woolly monkey
- Common eland
- Leschenault’s rousette
Animals with the same weight as a Honduran white bat
What other animals weight around 5 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Yellowish myotis weighting 5 grams
- Chinese pipistrelle weighting 5 grams
- Malagasy mouse-eared bat weighting 5 grams
- Elgon shrew weighting 6 grams
- Carmen Mountain shrew weighting 4 grams
- Insular horseshoe bat weighting 4 grams
- Rendall’s serotine weighting 6 grams
- Taiwanese brown-toothed shrew weighting 6 grams
- Peters’s sheath-tailed bat weighting 4 grams
- Yellow-lipped bat weighting 4 grams