How many baby Highveld gerbils are in a litter?
A Highveld gerbil (Tatera brantsii) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 4 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 8 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 22 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Tatera). An adult Highveld gerbil grows up to a size of 11.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Highveld gerbil (Gerbilliscus brantsii) is a species of gerbil found in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa, Eswatini, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, temperate shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, temperate grassland, and temperate desert. This is a common species with a wide range and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated it as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Highveld gerbil is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Southern grasshopper mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Mearns’s grasshopper mouse weighting only 30 grams
- Tiny fat mouse weighting only 5 grams
- Southern African vlei rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eversmann’s hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Louise’s spiny mouse weighting only 20 grams
- Bunchgrass leaf-eared mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Winkelmann’s mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Definitive leaf-eared mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Lesser mole-rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Highveld gerbil
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Chestnut tree mouse
- Duthie’s golden mole
- White-lipped tamarin
- Mount Pirri isthmus rat
- Oecomys bicolor
- Cascade golden-mantled ground squirrel
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat
- Common marmoset
- Texas kangaroo rat
- Black-footed tree-rat
Animals with the same weight as a Highveld gerbil
What other animals weight around 89 grams (0.2 lbs)?
- Southern climbing mouse weighting 89 grams
- Fringe-tailed gerbil weighting 95 grams
- Slender Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Highland streaked tenrec weighting 102 grams
- Kemp’s thicket rat weighting 75 grams
- Dibbler weighting 72 grams
- Big bonneted bat weighting 83 grams
- White-bellied rat weighting 100 grams
- Central rock rat weighting 100 grams
- Leschenault’s rousette weighting 84 grams