How many baby Common marmosets are in a litter?
A Common marmoset (Callithrix jacchus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 144 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 27 grams (0.06 lbs) and measure 12.5 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Callitrichidae family (genus: Callithrix). An adult Common marmoset grows up to a size of 24 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The common marmoset (Callithrix jacchus) is a New World monkey. It originally lived on the northeastern coast of Brazil, in the states of Piaui, Paraiba, Ceará, Rio Grande do Norte, Pernambuco, Alagoas and Bahia. Through release (both intentional and unintentional) of captive individuals, it has expanded its range since the 1920s to Southeast Brazil (its first sighting in the wild for Rio de Janeiro was in 1929), where it became an invasive species, raising concerns about genetic pollution of similar species, such as the buffy-tufted marmoset (Callithrix aurita), and predation upon bird nestlings and eggs.The whole-genome sequence of a female common marmoset was published on 20 July 2014. It became the first New World Monkey to have its genome sequenced.
Other animals of the family Callitrichidae
Common marmoset is a member of the Callitrichidae, as are these animals:
- Geoffroy’s tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Black-tufted marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Mottle-faced tamarin weighting only 803 grams
- Cotton-top tamarin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Golden-headed lion tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Goeldi’s marmoset with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black lion tamarin weighting only 656 grams
- Golden lion tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- White-footed tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Wied’s marmoset weighting only 375 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Common marmoset
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Alston’s brown mouse
- Fawn hopping mouse
- Val’s gundi
- Masked palm civet
- Murree vole
- Gray mouse lemur
Animals that get as old as a Common marmoset
Other animals that usually reach the age of 16.75 years:
- Madagascan fruit bat with 20 years
- South African springhare with 14.5 years
- Giant armadillo with 15 years
- Raccoon dog with 14 years
- Hector’s dolphin with 20 years
- Indian hog deer with 20 years
- Javan warty pig with 14 years
- Small-toothed palm civet with 15.83 years
- Short-beaked common dolphin with 20 years
- Lechwe with 18.5 years
Animals with the same weight as a Common marmoset
What other animals weight around 291 grams (0.64 lbs)?
- Yellow-bellied weasel weighting 264 grams
- Fire-footed rope squirrel weighting 243 grams
- O’Connell’s spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- White-spined Atlantic spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Coquerel’s giant mouse lemur weighting 326 grams
- Richardson’s ground squirrel weighting 325 grams
- Nectomys rattus weighting 248 grams
- Straw-coloured fruit bat weighting 253 grams
- Bare-tailed woolly opossum weighting 246 grams
- Northern glider weighting 278 grams