How many baby Lundomyss are in a litter?
A Lundomys (Holochilus magnus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Holochilus). An adult Lundomys grows up to a size of 22.3 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Lundomys molitor, also known as Lund’s amphibious rat or the greater marsh rat, is a semiaquatic rat species from southeastern South America.Its distribution is now restricted to Uruguay and nearby Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, but it previously ranged northward into Minas Gerais, Brazil, and southward into eastern Argentina. The Argentine form may have been distinct from the living form from Brazil and Uruguay. L. molitor is a large rodent, with the head and body length averaging 193 mm (7.6 in), characterized by a long tail, large hindfeet, and long and dense fur. It builds nests above the water, supported by reeds, and it is not currently threatened.Its external morphology is similar to that of Holochilus brasiliensis, and over the course of its complex taxonomic history it has been confused with that species, but other features support its placement in a distinct genus, Lundomys. Within the family Cricetidae and subfamily Sigmodontinae, it is a member of a group of specialized oryzomyine rodents that also includes Holochilus, Noronhomys, Carletonomys, and Pseudoryzomys.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Lundomys is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Chestnut tree mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- White-tipped tufted-tailed rat weighting only 100 grams
- Fringe-tailed gerbil with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern white-eared giant rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Oligoryzomys andinus weighting only 25 grams
- Salt marsh harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Large-toothed hairy-tailed rat raching a size of 19.5 cm (0′ 8″)
- Mearns’s pouched mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Senegal gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Mindanao shrew-rat raching a size of 9 cm (0′ 4″)
Animals that share a litter size with Lundomys
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- White-sided jackrabbit
- Geoffroy’s cat
- Ashy chinchilla rat
- Red panda
- Peters’s striped mouse
- White-tailed mongoose
- Chacoan peccary
- Southern pygmy mouse
- Lesser yellow bat
- Long-nosed bandicoot
Animals with the same weight as a Lundomys
What other animals weight around 238 grams (0.52 lbs)?
- Mohave ground squirrel weighting 213 grams
- Andersen’s naked-backed fruit bat weighting 233 grams
- Andean mountain cavy weighting 255 grams
- Townsend’s pocket gopher weighting 263 grams
- Grey-bellied squirrel weighting 265 grams
- Panniet naked-backed fruit bat weighting 239 grams
- Gambian sun squirrel weighting 248 grams
- Napo spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Pteropus temmincki weighting 250 grams
- Large mosaic-tailed rat weighting 210 grams