How many baby Mearns’s pouched mouses are in a litter?
A Mearns’s pouched mouse (Saccostomus mearnsi) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Saccostomus). An adult Mearns’s pouched mouse grows up to a size of 11.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Mearns’s pouched mouse (Saccostomus mearnsi) is a species of rodent in the family Nesomyidae.It is found in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania, and Uganda.Its natural habitats are dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, hot deserts, and arable land.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Mearns’s pouched mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Mountain giant Sunda rat weighting only 419 grams
- Neacomys spinosus weighting only 19 grams
- Eremoryzomys weighting only 60 grams
- Robert’s snow vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Chinese zokor weighting only 257 grams
- Ranee mouse raching a size of 7.5 cm (0′ 3″)
- Brukkaros pygmy rock mouse weighting only 20 grams
- Kemp’s gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- New Holland mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Blue-gray mouse raching a size of 8.8 cm (0′ 4″)
Animals that share a litter size with Mearns’s pouched mouse
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- Meadow jumping mouse
- Long-eared chipmunk
- Kellen’s dormouse
- Grey dwarf hamster
- Wyoming ground squirrel
- Southern red-backed vole
- American pygmy shrew
- Silent dormouse
- Corsac fox
- Western jumping mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Mearns’s pouched mouse
What other animals weight around 64 grams (0.14 lbs)?
- Red mouse opossum weighting 63 grams
- Arends’s golden mole weighting 52 grams
- Euryoryzomys russatus weighting 60 grams
- Small Japanese mole weighting 65 grams
- Oreoryzomys weighting 60 grams
- Vampyriscus nymphaea weighting 69 grams
- East African little collared fruit bat weighting 53 grams
- Marsh rice rat weighting 53 grams
- Indonesian short-nosed fruit bat weighting 59 grams
- Ivory Coast rat weighting 52 grams