How many baby Senegal gerbils are in a litter?
A Senegal gerbil (Taterillus pygargus) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 26 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Taterillus). An adult Senegal gerbil grows up to a size of 11.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Senegal gerbil or Senegal tateril (Taterillus pygargus) is a species of gerbil found in Niger, Senegal, possibly Gambia, possibly Mali, and possibly Mauritania. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, arable land, pastureland, and rural gardens.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Senegal gerbil is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Holochilus brasiliensis with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Highland brush mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Allen’s wood mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Pittier’s crab-eating rat weighting only 69 grams
- Silent grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Jackson’s soft-furred mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Nelson’s woodrat weighting only 198 grams
- Akodon albiventer weighting only 26 grams
- Insular vole with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Olive grass mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Senegal gerbil
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Silver mountain vole
- Mountain cottontail
- Parantechinus bilarni
- Bat-eared fox
- Tondano rat
- Korean field mouse
- Pacific shrew
- Smith’s vole
- Bennett’s chinchilla rat
Animals with the same weight as a Senegal gerbil
What other animals weight around 60 grams (0.13 lbs)?
- Arrow flying squirrel weighting 49 grams
- Stephens’s kangaroo rat weighting 68 grams
- Red mouse opossum weighting 63 grams
- Arends’s golden mole weighting 52 grams
- Bornean smooth-tailed treeshrew weighting 60 grams
- Gould’s mouse weighting 49 grams
- Lodgepole chipmunk weighting 60 grams
- Oreoryzomys weighting 60 grams
- Andean leaf-eared mouse weighting 53 grams
- Long-nosed dasyure weighting 54 grams