How many baby Insular voles are in a litter?
A Insular vole (Microtus abbreviatus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 21 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.8 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Microtus). An adult Insular vole grows up to a size of 16 cm (0′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The insular vole or St. Matthew Island vole (Microtus abbreviatus) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It occurs only on St. Matthew Island and the adjacent Hall Island, in Alaska. On these Bering Sea islands, insular voles live in damp lowland areas, on the lower slopes of mountains, and on rye grass-covered beaches. They are diurnal and eat plant matter. Birds and Arctic foxes (which are the only other mammals on the island) prey on the voles.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Insular vole is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Harrington’s rat weighting only 90 grams
- Capricorn leaf-eared mouse weighting only 50 grams
- Tatra pine vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Subalpine woolly rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Neuquén grass mouse weighting only 42 grams
- Perote mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Greater mole-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser short-tailed gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Large mosaic-tailed rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Anthony’s woodrat weighting only 195 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Insular vole
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Southern mole vole
- Griselda’s striped grass mouse
- Fisher (animal)
- Water deer
- Desert mouse
- Brush mouse
- Derby’s woolly opossum
- Anderson’s gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Insular vole
What other animals weight around 66 grams (0.15 lbs)?
- North American brown lemming weighting 69 grams
- Beady-eyed mouse weighting 77 grams
- Gray-collared chipmunk weighting 61 grams
- Cape short-eared gerbil weighting 54 grams
- Great fruit-eating bat weighting 59 grams
- Pale-faced bat weighting 55 grams
- Unicolored Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Euryoryzomys russatus weighting 60 grams
- Oecomys roberti weighting 73 grams
- Pyrenean desman weighting 60 grams