How many baby Southern mole voles are in a litter?
A Southern mole vole (Ellobius fuscocapillus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 8 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Ellobius). An adult Southern mole vole grows up to a size of 13.8 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The southern mole vole (Ellobius fuscocapillus) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae.It is found in Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, and Turkmenistan.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Southern mole vole is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Isarog shrew-rat weighting only 122 grams
- Oecomys cleberi weighting only 73 grams
- Blackish deer mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mexican vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Neacomys spinosus weighting only 19 grams
- Thomas’s pine vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Cape spiny mouse weighting only 21 grams
- Bunker’s woodrat weighting only 375 grams
- Volcano harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Pale leaf-eared mouse weighting only 102 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Southern mole vole
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Brandt’s hedgehog
- European badger
- Kivu long-haired shrew
- Fat sand rat
- Pygmy hog
- Geoxus valdivianus
- Namaqua rock rat
- Beech marten
- Mongolian five-toed jerboa
- Great jerboa
Animals with the same weight as a Southern mole vole
What other animals weight around 80 grams (0.18 lbs)?
- Northern rufous mouse lemur weighting 68 grams
- Lowland mosaic-tailed rat weighting 85 grams
- Heath mouse weighting 72 grams
- Plains viscacha rat weighting 86 grams
- Western rock elephant shrew weighting 65 grams
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 80 grams
- Greater spear-nosed bat weighting 91 grams
- Bougainville mosaic-tailed rat weighting 86 grams
- Van Deusen’s rat weighting 67 grams
- White-bellied woolly mouse opossum weighting 93 grams