How many baby Volcano harvest mouses are in a litter?
A Volcano harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys chrysopsis) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 4.5 kg (9.92 lbs) and measure 4.2 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Reithrodontomys). An adult Volcano harvest mouse grows up to a size of 7.2 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The volcano harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys chrysopsis) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae.It is found only in Mexico.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Volcano harvest mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Abrothrix jelskii weighting only 34 grams
- Brush mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern broad-toothed field mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Savanna gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Hatt’s vesper rat weighting only 36 grams
- Middendorf’s vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Bushveld gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Ash-colored Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Louise’s spiny mouse weighting only 20 grams
- New Britain water rat raching a size of 29.2 cm (1′ 0″)
Animals that share a litter size with Volcano harvest mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Collared pika
- Kaiser’s rock rat
- Yucatan deer mouse
- Atlantic Forest climbing mouse
- Broad-footed mole
- Japanese mountain mole
- Southern grasshopper mouse
- Japanese shrew mole
- Pinyon mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Volcano harvest mouse
What other animals weight around 19 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Russet free-tailed bat weighting 16 grams
- Oligoryzomys flavescens weighting 21 grams
- Chinese mole shrew weighting 20 grams
- Fox’s shrew weighting 21 grams
- Lesser mouse-eared bat weighting 21 grams
- Brown fruit-eating bat weighting 19 grams
- Bates’s shrew weighting 16 grams
- Ural field mouse weighting 18 grams
- Blackish grass mouse weighting 19 grams
- Great Basin pocket mouse weighting 21 grams