How many baby Savanna gerbils are in a litter?
A Savanna gerbil (Tatera valida) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 6 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 25 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Tatera). An adult Savanna gerbil grows up to a size of 11.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The savanna gerbil (Gerbilliscus validus) is a species of gerbil found in Angola, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, moist savanna, and arable land.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Savanna gerbil is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Unalaska collared lemming with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Whitehead’s spiny rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Arnhem Land rock rat weighting only 94 grams
- Highland brush mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Subalpine woolly rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Hispid cotton rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Southern mole vole with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Stolička’s mountain vole with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Olive grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Large-toothed hairy-tailed rat raching a size of 19.5 cm (0′ 8″)
Animals that share a litter size with Savanna gerbil
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Molina’s grass mouse
- Dark-tailed tree rat
- Delectable soft-furred mouse
- Broad-footed mole
- Northern mole vole
- Chestnut climbing mouse
- Severtzov’s jerboa
- Western mouse
- Dark kangaroo mouse
- Hylaeamys megacephalus
Animals with the same weight as a Savanna gerbil
What other animals weight around 121 grams (0.27 lbs)?
- Northern palm squirrel weighting 102 grams
- Edible dormouse weighting 128 grams
- Greater fairy armadillo weighting 130 grams
- Magdalena rat weighting 130 grams
- Pará spiny tree-rat weighting 108 grams
- Voalavoanala weighting 97 grams
- Tete veld aethomys weighting 133 grams
- Long-haired rousette weighting 104 grams
- Lowland streaked tenrec weighting 129 grams
- Black-tailed tree rat weighting 125 grams