How many baby Atlantic Forest climbing mouses are in a litter?
A Atlantic Forest climbing mouse (Rhipidomys mastacalis) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 3 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 9 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 90 grams (0.2 lbs) and measure 2.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Rhipidomys). An adult Atlantic Forest climbing mouse grows up to a size of 21 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Atlantic Forest climbing mouse (Rhipidomys mastacalis) is an arboreal rodent species in the family Cricetidae from South America. It is found in the Atlantic Forest of southeastern Brazil at elevations from sea level to 1500 m. Its karyotype is 2n = 44, FN = 74–80.It is sometimes also referred to as the long-tailed climbing mouse. Rhipidomys macrurus is similarly sometimes commonly known as the “long-tailed rhipidomys”, while rodents of genus Vandeleuria are also commonly known as long-tailed climbing mice.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Atlantic Forest climbing mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Southern red-backed vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Dusky rat weighting only 146 grams
- Crested-tailed deer mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Mimic tree rat weighting only 975 grams
- Nayarit mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Pallid Atlantic Forest rat weighting only 90 grams
- Roborovski dwarf hamster with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Cloud forest grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Little Indian field mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Forest Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Atlantic Forest climbing mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- American hog-nosed skunk
- Desert warthog
- Kivu long-haired shrew
- Masked white-tailed rat
- Eastern broad-toothed field mouse
- Desert mouse
- Namaqua rock rat
- Brush rabbit
- Texas pocket gopher
- Mexican volcano mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Atlantic Forest climbing mouse
What other animals weight around 100 grams (0.22 lbs)?
- Bush vlei rat weighting 102 grams
- Jaliscan cotton rat weighting 120 grams
- Texas antelope squirrel weighting 113 grams
- Peterson’s chinchilla mouse weighting 83 grams
- Tanala tufted-tailed rat weighting 90 grams
- Coues’s climbing mouse weighting 89 grams
- Summit rat weighting 107 grams
- Himalayan field rat weighting 100 grams
- Allen’s chipmunk weighting 89 grams
- California kangaroo rat weighting 85 grams