How many baby Allen’s wood mouses are in a litter?
A Allen’s wood mouse (Hylomyscus alleni) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 29 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 8.5 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Hylomyscus). An adult Allen’s wood mouse grows up to a size of 13.2 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Allen’s hylomyscus or Allen’s wood mouse (Hylomyscus alleni) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is native to West and Central Africa, where it is widely distributed. It occurs in deciduous forest habitat.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Allen’s wood mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Stolzmann’s crab-eating rat weighting only 84 grams
- Spinifex hopping mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Cursor grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Meadow vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Verreaux’s mouse weighting only 41 grams
- Melanomys caliginosus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- New Guinea waterside rat weighting only 526 grams
- Golden hamster with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Lowland brush mouse raching a size of 17.6 cm (0′ 7″)
- Northern bog lemming with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Allen’s wood mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Kemp’s gerbil
- Creeping vole
- Black-backed jackal
- Painted spiny pocket mouse
- Red-nosed mouse
- Brush mouse
- Comb-toed jerboa
- Oligoryzomys fulvescens
- Western chestnut mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Allen’s wood mouse
What other animals weight around 20 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Schultz’s round-eared bat weighting 18 grams
- Juliana’s golden mole weighting 21 grams
- Lesser false vampire bat weighting 24 grams
- Cozumel harvest mouse weighting 20 grams
- Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster weighting 21 grams
- Lesser Wilfred’s mouse weighting 22 grams
- Ghost-faced bat weighting 16 grams
- Sinaloan pocket mouse weighting 17 grams
- Naked-nosed shrew tenrec weighting 18 grams
- Gracile shrew tenrec weighting 23 grams