How many baby Holochilus brasiliensiss are in a litter?
A Holochilus brasiliensis (Holochilus brasiliensis) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 28 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Holochilus). An adult Holochilus brasiliensis grows up to a size of 22.3 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Holochilus brasiliensis, also known as the Brazilian marsh rat or web-footed marsh rat, is a species of semiaquatic rodent from South America. It is found in northeastern Argentina, southern and eastern Brazil and in eastern Uruguay.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Holochilus brasiliensis is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Great Balkhan mouse-like hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Mindanao shrew-rat raching a size of 9 cm (0′ 4″)
- Palawan soft-furred mountain rat raching a size of 14.4 cm (0′ 6″)
- Highland brush mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Oligoryzomys longicaudatus with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Southern pygmy mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Black-tailed mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Percival’s spiny mouse weighting only 22 grams
- Atlantic Forest climbing mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Mediterranean pine vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Holochilus brasiliensis
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Middle East blind mole-rat
- Southern short-tailed shrew
- Tasmanian pygmy possum
- Large mole
- Savanna gerbil
- Oligoryzomys nigripes
- Striped hog-nosed skunk
- Deroo’s mouse
- Alpine pine vole
- White-ankled mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Holochilus brasiliensis
What other animals weight around 155 grams (0.34 lbs)?
- Waterhouse’s swamp rat weighting 146 grams
- Pygmy ringtail possum weighting 152 grams
- Brants’s whistling rat weighting 129 grams
- Golden-mantled ground squirrel weighting 175 grams
- Mountain degu weighting 154 grams
- Magdalena rat weighting 130 grams
- Bornean mountain ground squirrel weighting 130 grams
- Smoky pocket gopher weighting 150 grams
- Littledale’s whistling rat weighting 126 grams
- Middle East blind mole-rat weighting 164 grams