How many baby Oligoryzomys longicaudatuss are in a litter?
A Oligoryzomys longicaudatus (Oligoryzomys longicaudatus) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 18.36 kg (40.48 lbs) and measure 5.7 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Oligoryzomys). An adult Oligoryzomys longicaudatus grows up to a size of 2 meter (6′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Oligoryzomys longicaudatus, also known as the long-tailed colilargo or long-tailed pygmy rice rat, is a species of rodent in the genus Oligoryzomys of the family Cricetidae. It is found in the southern Andes of Chile and Argentina, with an outlying population in eastern Argentina. As a common species with a wide range and a stable population, the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated this rodent as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Oligoryzomys longicaudatus is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Oryzomys gorgasi weighting only 60 grams
- Polynesian rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Savanna gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Tristram’s jird with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Mindanao mountain rat raching a size of 12.8 cm (0′ 6″)
- Bolivian big-eared mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Squirrel-toothed rat weighting only 511 grams
- Senegal gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Spotted bolo mouse weighting only 37 grams
- Large vesper mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Oligoryzomys longicaudatus
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Plains pocket mouse
- Utah prairie dog
- Little pocket mouse
- Pallas’s cat
- Panamint chipmunk
- Gerbil mouse
- Bank vole
- White-footed mouse
- Senegal gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Oligoryzomys longicaudatus
What other animals weight around 27 grams (0.06 lbs)?
- Anderson’s gerbil weighting 27 grams
- North African gerbil weighting 27 grams
- Dusky caenolestid weighting 29 grams
- Tufted pygmy squirrel weighting 24 grams
- Graphiurus hueti weighting 30 grams
- Hildebrandt’s horseshoe bat weighting 25 grams
- True’s vole weighting 22 grams
- Olive grass mouse weighting 26 grams
- Bibimys chacoensis weighting 28 grams
- Hill’s sheath-tailed bat weighting 22 grams