It is hard to guess what a Pittier’s crab-eating rat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Pittier’s crab-eating rat (Ichthyomys pittieri) on average weights 69 grams (0.15 lbs).
The Pittier’s crab-eating rat is from the family Muridae (genus: Ichthyomys). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 57.3 cm (1′ 11″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Pittier’s crab-eating rat (Ichthyomys pittieri) is a species of semiaquatic rodent in the family Cricetidae.It is endemic to Venezuela.The natural habitats of this species are rivers and swamps. Its karyotype has 2n = 92 and FNa = 98. This was previously thought to be the highest chromosome number known for a mammal, but it has since been found that the plains viscacha rat or red viscacha rat (Tympanoctomys barrerae) has 4x = 2n = 102.
Animals of the same family as a Pittier’s crab-eating rat
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Harrington’s rat with a weight of 90 grams
- Sloggett’s vlei rat with a weight of 106 grams
- Candango mouse with a weight of 97 grams
- Mindoro climbing rat with a size of 12.3 cm (0′ 5″)
- Colombian forest mouse with a weight of 19 grams
- Oecomys flavicans with a weight of 73 grams
- Rupp’s mouse with a weight of 49 grams
- Bismarck giant rat with a weight of 613 grams
- Northern Luzon giant cloud rat bringing 1.75 kilos (3.86 lbs) to the scale
- Wood mouse with a weight of 21 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Pittier’s crab-eating rat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Ichthyomys pittieri:
- Montane Oldfield mouse bringing 77 grams to the scale
- Lesser hamster-rat bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Stephens’s kangaroo rat bringing 68 grams to the scale
- Ash-colored Oldfield mouse bringing 77 grams to the scale
- Bornean smooth-tailed treeshrew bringing 60 grams to the scale
- Nephelomys albigularis bringing 60 grams to the scale
- Nelson’s spiny pocket mouse bringing 67 grams to the scale
- Long-clawed mole vole bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Merriam’s chipmunk bringing 74 grams to the scale
- Yellow-spotted brush-furred rat bringing 57 grams to the scale