How many baby Alston’s brown mouses are in a litter?
A Alston’s brown mouse (Scotinomys teguina) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 31 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.6 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Scotinomys). An adult Alston’s brown mouse grows up to a size of 23.6 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Alston’s brown mouse, also called Alston’s singing mouse, short-tailed singing mouse, or singing mouse (Scotinomys teguina), is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is found in Central America, from Chiapas, Mexico, to western Panama.This species produces vocalizations in both the sonic and ultrasonic range that are thought to be an important component of its communication behavior.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Alston’s brown mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Tiny fat mouse weighting only 5 grams
- White-tipped tufted-tailed rat weighting only 100 grams
- Mindomys weighting only 60 grams
- Turkish hamster with 9 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed hopping mouse weighting only 100 grams
- Sumichrast’s harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Bushveld gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Large Japanese field mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Akodon boliviensis with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Argentine hocicudo weighting only 67 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Alston’s brown mouse
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Florida mouse
- Buller’s chipmunk
- San Lorenzo mouse
- Grey-bellied squirrel
- Greater dwarf lemur
- Large treeshrew
- Northern yellow bat
- Common echymipera
- Lesser bilby
Animals with the same weight as a Alston’s brown mouse
What other animals weight around 11 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Common planigale weighting 12 grams
- Fulvous harvest mouse weighting 11 grams
- Large-eared horseshoe bat weighting 10 grams
- Southern yellow bat weighting 12 grams
- Pale kangaroo mouse weighting 13 grams
- American shrew mole weighting 9 grams
- Bini free-tailed bat weighting 11 grams
- Variegated butterfly bat weighting 11 grams
- Natal long-fingered bat weighting 10 grams
- Darien harvest mouse weighting 12 grams