How many baby Lesser bilbys are in a litter?
A Lesser bilby (Macrotis leucura) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 4 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 2.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Peramelidae family (genus: Macrotis). An adult Lesser bilby grows up to a size of 37.5 cm (1′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The lesser bilby (Macrotis leucura), also known as the yallara, the lesser rabbit-eared bandicoot or the white-tailed rabbit-eared bandicoot, was a rabbit-like marsupial. The species was first described by Oldfield Thomas as Peregale leucura in 1887 from a single specimen from a collection of mammals of the British Museum. Reaching the size of a young rabbit, this species lived in the deserts of Central Australia. Since the 1950s–1960s, it has been believed to be extinct.
Other animals of the family Peramelidae
Lesser bilby is a member of the Peramelidae, as are these animals:
- Northern brown bandicoot with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Long-nosed bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Greater bilby with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Western barred bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Southern brown bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Golden bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Southern pig-footed bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Desert bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern barred bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Lesser bilby
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Golden mouse
- Thomas’s giant deer mouse
- Spix’s yellow-toothed cavy
- European pine vole
- Mozambique thicket rat
- Feathertail glider
- Sikkim mountain vole
- Gray-bellied tree mouse
- Greater bamboo bat
Animals with the same weight as a Lesser bilby
What other animals weight around 364 grams (0.8 lbs)?
- Pousargues’s mongoose weighting 362 grams
- Desert hedgehog weighting 352 grams
- Goya tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Spiny Ceram rat weighting 306 grams
- Colombian soft-furred spiny rat weighting 394 grams
- San Luis tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Highland tuco-tuco weighting 327 grams
- Buffy-tufted marmoset weighting 387 grams
- Smoky pocket gopher weighting 403 grams
- Azara’s tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams