How many baby Desert bandicoots are in a litter?
A Desert bandicoot (Perameles eremiana) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 253 grams (0.56 lbs) and measure 7.8 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Peramelidae family (genus: Perameles). An adult Desert bandicoot grows up to a size of 30 cm (1′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The desert bandicoot (Perameles eremiana) is an extinct bandicoot of the arid country in the centre of Australia.
Other animals of the family Peramelidae
Desert bandicoot is a member of the Peramelidae, as are these animals:
- Golden bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Greater bilby with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Western barred bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Northern brown bandicoot with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Southern pig-footed bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern barred bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Southern brown bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser bilby with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Long-nosed bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Desert bandicoot
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Yellow mongoose
- Large treeshrew
- Big-eared swamp rat
- Sonoran woodrat
- Red hocicudo
- Large tree mouse
- Fawn-footed mosaic-tailed rat
- Tatra pine vole
Animals with the same weight as a Desert bandicoot
What other animals weight around 499 grams (1.1 lbs)?
- Epixerus weighting 559 grams
- Guayaquil squirrel weighting 433 grams
- Small flying fox weighting 434 grams
- Yellow-bellied glider weighting 568 grams
- Oaxacan pocket gopher weighting 499 grams
- Checkered elephant shrew weighting 424 grams
- Yellow-crowned brush-tailed rat weighting 445 grams
- Black-mantled tamarin weighting 450 grams
- Giant golden mole weighting 440 grams
- Smoky pocket gopher weighting 403 grams