How many baby Southern pig-footed bandicoots are in a litter?
A Southern pig-footed bandicoot (Chaeropus ecaudatus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Peramelidae family (genus: Chaeropus). An adult Southern pig-footed bandicoot grows up to a size of 2.04 meter (6′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The southern pig-footed bandicoot – Chaeropus ecaudatus – was a small species of herbivorous marsupial in the genus Chaeropus, the pig-footed bandicoots.
Other animals of the family Peramelidae
Southern pig-footed bandicoot is a member of the Peramelidae, as are these animals:
- Lesser bilby with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Western barred bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Northern brown bandicoot with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Greater bilby with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Southern brown bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Desert bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Long-nosed bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern barred bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Golden bandicoot with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Southern pig-footed bandicoot
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Gray-bellied tree mouse
- Turbo shrew
- Least groove-toothed swamp rat
- Highland tuco-tuco
- Eastern gray squirrel
- Chisel-toothed kangaroo rat
- Hershkovitz’s marmoset
- Brown deer mouse
- Cape fox
- Slender rat
Animals with the same weight as a Southern pig-footed bandicoot
What other animals weight around 220 grams (0.49 lbs)?
- Bryant’s woodrat weighting 182 grams
- Peters’s climbing rat weighting 182 grams
- Pseudocheirus schlegeli weighting 256 grams
- Salta tuco-tuco weighting 230 grams
- Northeast African mole-rat weighting 227 grams
- Ochre mole-rat weighting 200 grams
- Black-striped squirrel weighting 209 grams
- Lombok flying fox weighting 256 grams
- White-bellied nesomys weighting 214 grams
- Mexican woodrat weighting 203 grams