How many baby Hershkovitz’s marmosets are in a litter?
A Hershkovitz’s marmoset (Callithrix intermedia) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 11.1 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Cebidae family (genus: Callithrix). An adult Hershkovitz’s marmoset grows up to a size of 14.6 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Hershkovitz’s marmoset (Mico intermedia), also known as the Aripuanã marmoset is a marmoset species endemic to Brazil. The common name is a reference to American zoologist Philip Hershkovitz.
Other animals of the family Cebidae
Hershkovitz’s marmoset is a member of the Cebidae, as are these animals:
- Black-headed marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Emilia’s marmoset weighting only 309 grams
- White-cheeked spider monkey weighting around 6.24 kilograms (13.76 lbs)
- Hoffmanns’s titi with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-faced saki with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Brumback’s night monkey weighting only 603 grams
- Brown titi with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Geoffroy’s spider monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Wedge-capped capuchin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Red-handed howler weighting around 6.17 kilograms (13.6 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Hershkovitz’s marmoset
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once: