How many baby Indomalayan pencil-tailed tree mouses are in a litter?
A Indomalayan pencil-tailed tree mouse (Chiropodomys gliroides) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 20 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 7.6 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Chiropodomys). An adult Indomalayan pencil-tailed tree mouse grows up to a size of 29.7 cm (1′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Indomalayan pencil-tailed tree mouse or simply pencil-tailed tree mouse (Chiropodomys gliroides) is a species of arboreal rodent in the family Muridae. It is found in northeastern India, southern China (including Hainan), Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Peninsular Malaysia, and Indonesia (Java, Sumatra, the Mentawai Islands, and some other islands). This locally abundant but patchily distributed species occurs in primary and secondary forests, without affinity to particular forest types. It can suffer from deforestation and is sometimes harvested for consumption.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Indomalayan pencil-tailed tree mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Lesser short-tailed gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Ethiopian striped mouse weighting only 18 grams
- Charming climbing mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Greater mole-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Japanese grass vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Korean field mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Black-clawed brush-furred rat weighting only 10 grams
- Mimic tree rat weighting only 975 grams
- Shining thicket rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Middle East blind mole-rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Indomalayan pencil-tailed tree mouse
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Seminole bat
- Golden palm civet
- Niobe’s shrew
- Clara’s echymipera
- Pied tamarin
- Menzbier’s marmot
- African wading rat
- Spotted-necked otter
- Black-shouldered opossum
- Gaumer’s spiny pocket mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Indomalayan pencil-tailed tree mouse
What other animals weight around 23 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- Bank vole weighting 20 grams
- Little yellow-shouldered bat weighting 20 grams
- Striped field mouse weighting 21 grams
- Cactus mouse weighting 22 grams
- São Paulo grass mouse weighting 27 grams
- Altiplano grass mouse weighting 20 grams
- Yucatan deer mouse weighting 27 grams
- Aceramarca gracile opossum weighting 20 grams
- Oligoryzomys microtis weighting 22 grams
- North African gerbil weighting 27 grams