How many baby Thomas’s giant deer mouses are in a litter?
A Thomas’s giant deer mouse (Megadontomys thomasi) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 4 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Megadontomys). An adult Thomas’s giant deer mouse grows up to a size of 7.3 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Thomas’s giant deer mouse (Megadontomys thomasi) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae.It is found only in Mexico.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Thomas’s giant deer mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Northwestern deer mouse raching a size of 9.3 cm (0′ 4″)
- Mount Apo forest mouse weighting only 34 grams
- Fraternal hill rat weighting only 130 grams
- Northern groove-toothed shrew mouse weighting only 10 grams
- Scolomys melanops weighting only 26 grams
- Hairy-tailed bolo mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- São Paulo grass mouse weighting only 27 grams
- Flat-haired mouse with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Mindoro black rat with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Hylaeamys oniscus weighting only 49 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Thomas’s giant deer mouse
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Spiny pocket mouse
- Guyenne spiny rat
- Golden-backed tree-rat
- Cactus mouse
- Southern pocket gopher
- Gould’s wattled bat
- Brants’s whistling rat
- Pygmy rock mouse
- Gray mouse lemur
- Giant white-tailed rat
Animals with the same weight as a Thomas’s giant deer mouse
What other animals weight around 111 grams (0.24 lbs)?
- Bush rat weighting 124 grams
- Libyan jird weighting 91 grams
- Northern three-toed jerboa weighting 89 grams
- Red-cheeked flying squirrel weighting 118 grams
- Slender rat weighting 97 grams
- Greater fairy armadillo weighting 130 grams
- White-bellied mosaic-tailed rat weighting 104 grams
- Masked flying fox weighting 130 grams
- Gorongoza gerbil weighting 118 grams
- Major’s tufted-tailed rat weighting 100 grams