How many baby Gould’s wattled bats are in a litter?
A Gould’s wattled bat (Chalinolobus gouldii) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 92 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 125 grams (0.28 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Chalinolobus). An adult Gould’s wattled bat grows up to a size of 8.3 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Gould’s wattled bat (Chalinolobus gouldii) is a species of Australian wattled bat named after the English naturalist John Gould.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Gould’s wattled bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Kerivoula hardwickei with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Welwitsch’s bat weighting only 15 grams
- Abo bat weighting only 6 grams
- Tropical big-eared brown bat weighting only 11 grams
- Melck’s house bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Himalayan whiskered bat weighting only 2 grams
- Eisentraut’s pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Little yellow bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser mouse-eared bat weighting only 21 grams
- California myotis becoming 15 years old
Animals that share a litter size with Gould’s wattled bat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Tolai hare
- American shrew mole
- Golden lion tamarin
- New Guinean jumping mouse
- Seminole bat
- Eurasian beaver
- Savi’s pipistrelle
- Butiaba naked-tailed shrew
- Masked palm civet
- Snow leopard
Animals with the same weight as a Gould’s wattled bat
What other animals weight around 14 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Sandy inland mouse weighting 14 grams
- Common planigale weighting 12 grams
- Rhinolophus hilli weighting 13 grams
- True’s shrew mole weighting 15 grams
- True’s shrew mole weighting 14 grams
- Ultimate shrew weighting 16 grams
- Eastern red bat weighting 12 grams
- Intermediate horseshoe bat weighting 13 grams
- Savanna path shrew weighting 16 grams
- Turbo shrew weighting 14 grams