How many baby Eurasian beavers are in a litter?
A Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 106 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 551 grams (1.21 lbs) and measure 1.7 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Castoridae family (genus: Castor). An adult Eurasian beaver grows up to a size of 75.7 cm (2′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber) or European beaver is a beaver species that was once widespread in Eurasia, but was hunted to near-extinction for both its fur and castoreum. At the turn of the 20th century, only about 1,200 beavers survived in eight relict populations in Europe and Asia. It has been reintroduced to much of its former range, and now occurs from Spain, Central Europe, Great Britain and Scandinavia to a few regions in China and Mongolia. It is listed as least concern on the IUCN Red List, as it recovered well in most of Europe. It is extinct in Portugal, Moldova, and Turkey.
Other animals of the family Castoridae
Eurasian beaver is a member of the Castoridae, as are these animals:
- North American beaver with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Eurasian beaver
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Stirton’s deer mouse
- Rusty-spotted genet
- Littledale’s whistling rat
- Collie’s squirrel
- Japanese hare
- Richmond’s squirrel
- Greater dwarf shrew
- Meller’s mongoose
- Javan mongoose
Animals that get as old as a Eurasian beaver
Other animals that usually reach the age of 25 years:
- Antarctic fur seal with 23 years
- Ross seal with 21 years
- Water buffalo with 28.25 years
- Big brown bat with 20 years
- Indiana bat with 20 years
- Fossa (animal) with 20 years
- European bison with 27 years
- Weddell seal with 25 years
- Risso’s dolphin with 20 years
- Hawaiian monk seal with 30 years
Animals with the same weight as a Eurasian beaver
What other animals weight around 19 kg (41.89 lbs)?
- Grey rhebok usually reaching 22.62 kgs (49.87 lbs)
- Dwarf brocket usually reaching 16.04 kgs (35.36 lbs)
- Black wallaroo usually reaching 17 kgs (37.48 lbs)
- Bornean yellow muntjac usually reaching 18.87 kgs (41.6 lbs)
- Red brocket usually reaching 20.42 kgs (45.02 lbs)
- Bay duiker usually reaching 20 kgs (44.09 lbs)
- Collared peccary usually reaching 21.19 kgs (46.72 lbs)
- Hairy-fronted muntjac usually reaching 18.45 kgs (40.68 lbs)
- Mandrill usually reaching 16.74 kgs (36.91 lbs)
- Saudi gazelle usually reaching 16 kgs (35.27 lbs)