How many baby Golden-backed tree-rats are in a litter?
A Golden-backed tree-rat (Mesembriomys macrurus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 34 grams (0.07 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Mesembriomys). An adult Golden-backed tree-rat grows up to a size of 30.1 cm (1′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The golden-backed tree rat (Mesembriomys macrurus) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.It is found only in Australia.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Golden-backed tree-rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Nolthenius’s long-tailed climbing mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Natal multimammate mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser bandicoot rat with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Mongolian hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Taiwan vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lowland brush mouse raching a size of 17.6 cm (0′ 7″)
- Savanna gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- California vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Australian swamp rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Tete veld aethomys weighting only 133 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Golden-backed tree-rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Mountain degu
- Round-tailed muskrat
- Turbo shrew
- Thomas’s giant deer mouse
- Guyenne spiny rat
- Tasmanian devil
- Highveld gerbil
- Golden mouse
- Schlieffen’s bat
- Common gundi
Animals with the same weight as a Golden-backed tree-rat
What other animals weight around 294 grams (0.65 lbs)?
- Particolored flying squirrel weighting 255 grams
- Northern Idaho ground squirrel weighting 300 grams
- Mouse-tailed Atlantic spiny rat weighting 285 grams
- Brown-eared woolly opossum weighting 351 grams
- Bushy-tailed woodrat weighting 286 grams
- Tate’s triok weighting 252 grams
- Unstriped ground squirrel weighting 317 grams
- Chinese zokor weighting 256 grams
- Andean mountain cavy weighting 255 grams
- Bare-tailed woolly opossum weighting 246 grams