How many baby Feathertail gliders are in a litter?
A Feathertail glider (Acrobates pygmaeus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Acrobatidae family (genus: Acrobates). An adult Feathertail glider grows up to a size of 8 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The feathertail glider (Acrobates pygmaeus), also known as the pygmy gliding possum, pygmy glider, pygmy phalanger, flying phalanger and flying mouse, is a species of marsupial native to eastern Australia. It is the world’s smallest gliding mammal and is named for its long feather-shaped tail.A second species, the Broad-toed Feathertail Glider (Acrobates frontalis) is recognised by some authors based on unpublished genetic studies and cryptic morphological differences in toe and tail characteristics.
Other animals of the family Acrobatidae
Feathertail glider is a member of the Acrobatidae, as are these animals:
- Feather-tailed possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Feathertail glider
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Southern spiny pocket mouse
- Pygmy mouse lemur
- Fishing cat
- Blanford’s fox
- Trinidad spiny pocket mouse
- Highveld gerbil
- Mountain mosaic-tailed rat
- Radde’s shrew
- Golden spiny mouse
Animals that get as old as a Feathertail glider
Other animals that usually reach the age of 7.17 years:
- Long-tailed weasel with 7.08 years
- Black-shouldered opossum with 7.83 years
- Collared pika with 6 years
- Lesser short-nosed fruit bat with 8 years
- Scaly-tailed possum with 6 years
- Black-tailed prairie dog with 8.5 years
- Doria’s tree-kangaroo with 8 years
- Kowari with 7 years
- Orange-bellied Himalayan squirrel with 7.08 years
- Eastern pygmy possum with 8 years
Animals with the same weight as a Feathertail glider
What other animals weight around 13 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Upemba shrew weighting 14 grams
- Eastern broad-nosed bat weighting 11 grams
- American water shrew weighting 13 grams
- Parti-coloured bat weighting 15 grams
- Malayan slit-faced bat weighting 14 grams
- Microryzomys minutus weighting 13 grams
- Little long-tailed dunnart weighting 14 grams
- Jamaican flower bat weighting 14 grams
- Ryukyu mouse weighting 14 grams
- Pond bat weighting 15 grams