How many baby Southern spiny pocket mouses are in a litter?
A Southern spiny pocket mouse (Heteromys australis) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.3 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Heteromyidae family (genus: Heteromys). An adult Southern spiny pocket mouse grows up to a size of 46.9 cm (1′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The southern spiny pocket mouse (Heteromys australis) is a species of rodent in the family Heteromyidae. It is found in Colombia, Ecuador, and Panama.
Other animals of the family Heteromyidae
Southern spiny pocket mouse is a member of the Heteromyidae, as are these animals:
- Desert pocket mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Mountain spiny pocket mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Gaumer’s spiny pocket mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Desert kangaroo rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Jaliscan spiny pocket mouse weighting only 65 grams
- Hispid pocket mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Painted spiny pocket mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Phillips’s kangaroo rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Olive-backed pocket mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Panamint kangaroo rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Southern spiny pocket mouse
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- African golden cat
- Jungle palm squirrel
- Yellow mongoose
- Black-tailed jackrabbit
- Least pygmy squirrel
- Golden spiny mouse
- Iberian lynx
- Alston’s brown mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Southern spiny pocket mouse
What other animals weight around 268 grams (0.59 lbs)?
- Luzon broad-toothed rat weighting 268 grams
- Southern pig-footed bandicoot weighting 220 grams
- Fijian monkey-faced bat weighting 256 grams
- Dassie rat weighting 224 grams
- Hairy Atlantic spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Chinese zokor weighting 256 grams
- Chinese zokor weighting 257 grams
- Golden-backed tree-rat weighting 294 grams
- Tucuman tuco-tuco weighting 217 grams
- Red-tailed squirrel weighting 319 grams