How many baby Jungle palm squirrels are in a litter?
A Jungle palm squirrel (Funambulus tristriatus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 4.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Funambulus). An adult Jungle palm squirrel grows up to a size of 45.7 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The jungle palm squirrel, jungle striped squirrel, or Western Ghats squirrel (Funambulus tristriatus) is a species of rodents in the family Sciuridae endemic to India.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests and plantations.This species is tolerant to habitat changes and is common in tea plantations in Western Ghats. This squirrel is confined to forests with tall trees within the West Coast of the Indian Peninsula. This confinement has led the Jungle Palm Squirrel to be a pest to cacao, mangos, grapes, and sapota, which are plants that commonly grow in the type of forest that this squirrel is confined to. The ratio between male and females is not split evenly, males have been reported to have a larger share of the population. Potential factors for the uneven sex ration include differences in “rate of persistence, mortality, dispersal, and predation pressure” (Bhat and Matthew 135).
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Jungle palm squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Yucatan squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern chipmunk raching a size of 14.6 cm (0′ 6″)
- Lodgepole chipmunk with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Epixerus with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Barbary ground squirrel becoming 9 years old
- Southern Amazon red squirrel weighting only 403 grams
- Abert’s squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Olympic marmot with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Philippine tree squirrel raching a size of 21 cm (0′ 9″)
- Indian palm squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Jungle palm squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Common rufous-nosed rat
- Mount Pirri isthmus rat
- Chacoan peccary
- Common treeshrew
- Greater Egyptian jerboa
- Red hocicudo
- Trinidad spiny pocket mouse
- Golden lion tamarin
- African civet
- Cape hare
Animals with the same weight as a Jungle palm squirrel
What other animals weight around 135 grams (0.3 lbs)?
- Brants’s whistling rat weighting 129 grams
- Dusky spiny tree-rat weighting 108 grams
- Rough-haired golden mole weighting 112 grams
- Slender rat weighting 109 grams
- Gorongoza gerbil weighting 119 grams
- Greater fairy armadillo weighting 129 grams
- Leadbeater’s possum weighting 137 grams
- Furtive tuco-tuco weighting 150 grams
- Mountain degu weighting 154 grams
- Black-tailed gerbil weighting 123 grams