How many baby Common rufous-nosed rats are in a litter?
A Common rufous-nosed rat (Oenomys hypoxanthus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2.95 kg (6.5 lbs) and measure 5.7 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Oenomys). An adult Common rufous-nosed rat grows up to a size of 1.51 meter (5′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The common rufous-nosed rat (Oenomys hypoxanthus) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.It is found in Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical seasonally wet or flooded lowland grassland and seasonally flooded agricultural land.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Common rufous-nosed rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Ernst Mayr’s water rat weighting only 42 grams
- Tristram’s jird with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Tawitawi forest rat raching a size of 19 cm (0′ 8″)
- Robert’s snow vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Alston’s brown mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Greater bandicoot rat with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Bushveld gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Cheesman’s gerbil with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Large bamboo rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Common rufous-nosed rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Gambian sun squirrel
- Cape porcupine
- Deppe’s squirrel
- Vordermann’s flying squirrel
- Northern yellow bat
- White-lipped tamarin
- Round-tailed muskrat
- White-sided jackrabbit
- Chiriqui harvest mouse
- Natal multimammate mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Common rufous-nosed rat
What other animals weight around 89 grams (0.2 lbs)?
- Biak glider weighting 90 grams
- Eastern chestnut mouse weighting 79 grams
- Distinguished Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Spy hocicudo weighting 81 grams
- Leschenault’s rousette weighting 84 grams
- Crest-tailed mulgara weighting 100 grams
- Strong-tailed Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Daphne’s Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Atherton antechinus weighting 76 grams
- Taczanowski’s Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams