How many baby Greater bandicoot rats are in a litter?
A Greater bandicoot rat (Bandicota indica) usually gives birth to around 6 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 20 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 9 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 4.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Bandicota). An adult Greater bandicoot rat grows up to a size of 4 cm (0′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The greater bandicoot rat (Bandicota indica) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae found in Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.It can grow to about 27–29 cm without including the tail which tail can grow to 28 cm. These should not be confused with marsupial bandicoots which inhabit Australia and neighbouring New Guinea, which were named after the bandicota rats.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Greater bandicoot rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Friendly leaf-eared mouse weighting only 20 grams
- Large mosaic-tailed rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Saunder’s vlei rat weighting only 34 grams
- Delicate mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Spotted bolo mouse weighting only 37 grams
- Handleyomys melanotis with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Yellow-bellied brush-furred rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Andean big-eared mouse weighting only 38 grams
- Social vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Miller’s striped mouse weighting only 49 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Greater bandicoot rat
Those animals also give birth to 6 babies at once:
- Bronze quoll
- Eligmodontia typus
- Townsend’s pocket gopher
- Raccoon dog
- Eurasian water shrew
- Seven-banded armadillo
- Long-tailed weasel
- Big-eared opossum
- Spotted ground squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Greater bandicoot rat
What other animals weight around 583 grams (1.29 lbs)?
- Siberian weasel weighting 531 grams
- Eastern lowland olingo weighting 620 grams
- Swynnerton’s bush squirrel weighting 675 grams
- Mexican fox squirrel weighting 697 grams
- Giant Atlantic tree-rat weighting 502 grams
- Golden-rumped elephant shrew weighting 535 grams
- Golden-headed lion tamarin weighting 573 grams
- Numbat weighting 517 grams
- Seychelles fruit bat weighting 491 grams
- Malayan weasel weighting 569 grams