How many baby Eligmodontia typuss are in a litter?
A Eligmodontia typus (Eligmodontia typus) usually gives birth to around 6 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 18 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 8 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Eligmodontia). An adult Eligmodontia typus grows up to a size of 1.92 meter (6′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Eligmodontia typus is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is found in Argentina and possibly also Chile. The northernmost population might represent a distinct species, E. bolsonensis, to which the common name highland gerbil mouse would apply. The lowland population would then be known as eastern Patagonian gerbil mouse or eastern Patagonian laucha.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Eligmodontia typus is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Blanford’s rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Paramo Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Shaw Mayer’s water rat raching a size of 13.1 cm (0′ 6″)
- Oligoryzomys fulvescens with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Junín grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- White-bellied Luzon tree rat raching a size of 18.5 cm (0′ 8″)
- Tawitawi forest rat raching a size of 19 cm (0′ 8″)
- Tristram’s jird with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Little Indian field mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Alpine pine vole with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Eligmodontia typus
Those animals also give birth to 6 babies at once:
- Bornean bearded pig
- Alaskan hare
- Günther’s vole
- Perote ground squirrel
- Afghan pika
- Siberian brown lemming
- Maximowicz’s vole
- Uinta chipmunk
- Arctic ground squirrel
Animals that get as old as a Eligmodontia typus
Other animals that usually reach the age of 0.75 years:
Animals with the same weight as a Eligmodontia typus
What other animals weight around 17 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Broad-eared horseshoe bat weighting 14 grams
- Lesser red musk shrew weighting 15 grams
- Glacier Bay water shrew weighting 14 grams
- Sanborn’s bonneted bat weighting 15 grams
- Steppe lemming weighting 20 grams
- Lesser short-tailed gerbil weighting 17 grams
- Velvety fruit-eating bat weighting 16 grams
- Telefomin roundleaf bat weighting 15 grams
- Père David’s vole weighting 19 grams
- Small vesper mouse weighting 14 grams