How many baby Siberian brown lemmings are in a litter?
A Siberian brown lemming (Lemmus sibiricus) usually gives birth to around 6 babies.With 3 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 18 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 20 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.4 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Lemmus). An adult Siberian brown lemming grows up to a size of 10.3 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Siberian brown lemming (Lemmus sibiricus) is a species of rodents in the family Cricetidae found in the Russian Federation. It does not hibernate during winter; it lives in burrows. It is prey to several animals, including the snowy owl and the Arctic fox. The lemmings are known for their high-amplitude, large-scale fluctuations of population sizes.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Siberian brown lemming is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Oligoryzomys fulvescens with 3 babies per pregnancy
- White-throated woodrat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Oryzomys gorgasi weighting only 60 grams
- Setzer’s pygmy mouse weighting only 6 grams
- White-bellied mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Angoni vlei rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Brush-tailed rabbit rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Woodland Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Edith’s leaf-eared mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Northwestern deer mouse raching a size of 9.3 cm (0′ 4″)
Animals that share a litter size with Siberian brown lemming
Those animals also give birth to 6 babies at once:
- Perote ground squirrel
- Big-eared opossum
- Wyoming pocket gopher
- Bronze quoll
- Mindoro black rat
- Brown antechinus
- Little red kaluta
- White-eared opossum
- California ground squirrel
- Afghan pika
Animals with the same weight as a Siberian brown lemming
What other animals weight around 58 grams (0.13 lbs)?
- Fat-tailed gerbil weighting 47 grams
- Great evening bat weighting 49 grams
- Nephelomys levipes weighting 60 grams
- Brown deer mouse weighting 66 grams
- Gaumer’s spiny pocket mouse weighting 63 grams
- Nikolaus’s mouse weighting 52 grams
- Temminck’s striped mouse weighting 60 grams
- Great roundleaf bat weighting 50 grams
- Himalayan mole weighting 60 grams
- Southern multimammate mouse weighting 53 grams