How many baby Northern yellow bats are in a litter?
A Northern yellow bat (Lasiurus intermedius) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Lasiurus). An adult Northern yellow bat grows up to a size of 7.5 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The northern yellow bat (Dasypterus intermedius) is a non-migratory bat in the family Vespertilionidae, typically active year-round except during abnormally frigid winter weather, during which they will induce torpor.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Northern yellow bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Tropical big-eared brown bat weighting only 11 grams
- New Guinea long-eared bat weighting only 7 grams
- Variegated butterfly bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Small bent-winged bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eisentraut’s pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Cadorna’s pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Szechwan myotis weighting only 11 grams
- Eastern false pipistrelle weighting only 22 grams
- Gould’s long-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-winged serotine weighting only 5 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Northern yellow bat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Transcaspian vole
- Slender rat
- Maned wolf
- Mexican vole
- African wading rat
- Hoary bat
- Butiaba naked-tailed shrew
- Papua grassland mosaic-tailed rat
- Chiruromys lamia
- Rüppell’s fox
Animals with the same weight as a Northern yellow bat
What other animals weight around 22 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- Davies’s big-eared bat weighting 18 grams
- Silky mouse weighting 23 grams
- Western red-backed vole weighting 18 grams
- Kultarr weighting 25 grams
- Butiaba naked-tailed shrew weighting 18 grams
- Juliana’s golden mole weighting 21 grams
- Yellow golden mole weighting 24 grams
- Ipanema bat weighting 18 grams
- Striped field mouse weighting 21 grams
- One-toothed shrew mouse weighting 21 grams