How many baby White-lipped tamarins are in a litter?
A White-lipped tamarin (Saguinus labiatus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 144 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 40 grams (0.09 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Callitrichidae family (genus: Saguinus). An adult White-lipped tamarin grows up to a size of 23.9 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The white-lipped tamarin (Saguinus labiatus), also known as the red-bellied tamarin, is a tamarin which lives in the Amazon area of Brazil and Bolivia.The red belly of these New World monkeys is its most remarkable outward characteristic. Otherwise it is black with a thin white mustache on its face and a black-brown back.They live in social groups of related animals. The mother usually gives birth to one or two young at a time. The father carries the babies most, but siblings (brothers and sisters) will also share the carrying of youngsters, and so learn how to be good carers.There are three subspecies:Saguinus labiatus labiatusSaguinus labiatus rufiventerThomas’ moustached tamarin, Saguinus labiatus thomasi
Other animals of the family Callitrichidae
White-lipped tamarin is a member of the Callitrichidae, as are these animals:
- Common marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- White-footed tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Santarem marmoset becoming 15 years old
- Golden lion tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Golden-headed lion tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Superagüi lion tamarin weighting only 605 grams
- Silvery marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Goeldi’s marmoset with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-headed marmoset weighting only 342 grams
- Pied tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with White-lipped tamarin
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Gray-bellied caenolestid
- White-footed vole
- Eastern chestnut mouse
- Gray mouse lemur
- Red acouchi
- Radde’s shrew
- Dark-footed mouse shrew
- Baird’s pocket gopher
- Giant golden mole
Animals with the same weight as a White-lipped tamarin
What other animals weight around 509 grams (1.12 lbs)?
- Columbian ground squirrel weighting 471 grams
- Masoala fork-marked lemur weighting 409 grams
- Central African oyan weighting 570 grams
- Painted tree-rat weighting 519 grams
- Mauritian flying fox weighting 473 grams
- Long-tailed armored tree-rat weighting 439 grams
- Malayan weasel weighting 569 grams
- Gray-backed sportive lemur weighting 506 grams
- Brazilian guinea pig weighting 524 grams
- Indonesian mountain weasel weighting 466 grams