It is hard to guess what a Dusky spiny tree-rat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Dusky spiny tree-rat (Mesomys obscurus) on average weights 108 grams (0.24 lbs).
The Dusky spiny tree-rat is from the family Echimyidae (genus: Mesomys). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 18.5 cm (0′ 8″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The dusky spiny tree rat (Makalata obscura) is a species of rodent in the family Echimyidae. It is endemic to Brazil.The etymology of the species name corresponds to the Latin word obscurus meaning dark.
Animals of the same family as a Dusky spiny tree-rat
We found other animals of the Echimyidae family:
- Black-spined Atlantic tree-rat with a weight of 224 grams
- Mouse-tailed Atlantic spiny rat with a weight of 285 grams
- Napo spiny rat with a weight of 284 grams
- Brazilian spiny tree-rat with a weight of 108 grams
- Ihering’s Atlantic spiny rat with a weight of 221 grams
- Gracile Atlantic spiny rat with 1 babies per litter
- Speckled spiny tree-rat with a weight of 283 grams
- Greedy olalla rat with a weight of 206 grams
- Guyanan spiny rat with a weight of 284 grams
- Armored rat with a weight of 281 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Dusky spiny tree-rat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Mesomys obscurus:
- Charming climbing mouse bringing 89 grams to the scale
- Taiga vole bringing 92 grams to the scale
- Bramble Cay melomys bringing 100 grams to the scale
- Harris’s antelope squirrel bringing 127 grams to the scale
- Atlantic Forest climbing mouse bringing 100 grams to the scale
- Lewis’s tuco-tuco bringing 117 grams to the scale
- Big-eared hopping mouse bringing 89 grams to the scale
- Shaw Mayer’s brush mouse bringing 111 grams to the scale
- Highveld gerbil bringing 89 grams to the scale
- Dobson’s epauletted fruit bat bringing 121 grams to the scale