How many baby Gracile Atlantic spiny rats are in a litter?
A Gracile Atlantic spiny rat (Trinomys gratiosus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 23 grams (0.05 lbs) and measure 1.7 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Echimyidae family (genus: Trinomys). An adult Gracile Atlantic spiny rat grows up to a size of 19.7 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Trinomys gratiosus is a species in the mainly South American family Echimyidae, the spiny rats; it occurs in southeast Brazil from the south bank of the River Doce, Espirito Sante, southward to Teresopolis, Rio de Janeiro.
Other animals of the family Echimyidae
Gracile Atlantic spiny rat is a member of the Echimyidae, as are these animals:
- Dusky spiny tree-rat weighting only 108 grams
- Minca spiny rat weighting only 284 grams
- Orange-brown Atlantic tree-rat weighting only 296 grams
- Guyenne spiny rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Ihering’s Atlantic spiny rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed armored tree-rat weighting only 439 grams
- Giant tree-rat weighting only 584 grams
- Armored rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Pallid Atlantic tree-rat weighting only 215 grams
- Steere’s spiny rat weighting only 284 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Gracile Atlantic spiny rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once: