How many baby Midas free-tailed bats are in a litter?
A Midas free-tailed bat (Mops midas) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 9 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 5.3 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Molossidae family (genus: Mops). An adult Midas free-tailed bat grows up to a size of 1.45 meter (4′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Midas free-tailed bat (Mops midas) is a species of bat scientifically classified in the order Chiroptera and the family Molossidae. It is distributed from western Africa to Saudi Arabia and further south. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, moist savanna, woodlands and hot deserts. The more southern are also known to live around large rivers or the swamps. It is threatened by habitat loss.
Other animals of the family Molossidae
Midas free-tailed bat is a member of the Molossidae, as are these animals:
- Molossops abrasus weighting only 35 grams
- Dwarf bonneted bat weighting only 12 grams
- Velvety free-tailed bat weighting only 13 grams
- Broad-eared bat weighting only 13 grams
- Medje free-tailed bat weighting only 42 grams
- Hairless bat weighting only 169 grams
- Northern freetail bat weighting only 20 grams
- Madagascan large free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Western mastiff bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black mastiff bat weighting only 33 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Midas free-tailed bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Campbell’s mona monkey
- Black-headed spider monkey
- Grey-headed flying fox
- Dwarf sperm whale
- Green bush squirrel
- Hardwicke’s woolly bat
- Malayan civet
- Painted ringtail possum
- Little free-tailed bat
- Blyth’s vole
Animals with the same weight as a Midas free-tailed bat
What other animals weight around 45 grams (0.1 lbs)?
- Greater noctule bat weighting 45 grams
- Large Japanese field mouse weighting 43 grams
- Handleyomys chapmani weighting 49 grams
- Grey red-backed vole weighting 36 grams
- Abrothrix longipilis weighting 38 grams
- Abrothrix illuteus weighting 47 grams
- Fawn antechinus weighting 38 grams
- Mozambique thicket rat weighting 45 grams
- Woosnam’s broad-headed mouse weighting 54 grams
- Mexican spiny pocket mouse weighting 49 grams